Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tuplips, Toddlers, and Teachable Moments!










Hello everyone and I hope that there is someone at least reading this blog! :) Today I was out at the park with Julie and her kidos and we were letting the little ones play on the playground. My Lily, fearless and curious as she is, needed me to constantly watch her! She always does, so its no surprise. As usual she was eating more things then she should, dirt, sticks, rocks, etc. As I sat there thinking about how hard it is to always be trying to keep her out of things, I realized that she offered so many opportunities for me to teach her. Thats right, teach! I realized that I should be telling her about dirt (shes trying to learn about it anyway), I should tell her the color name, the textures, what grows in it, what lives it (dont eat the ant, the ant lives in the dirt). I realized that it takes more time, but think of all that she will grow up learning! At home, instead of grabbing her and yelling no when she tears apart the flowers, I should let her look and touch, I should tell her the colors she is seeing, tell her about the smells and the bees, etc. If I can really do that, first of all I'm a better parent because I'm encouraging her and paying attention to her, and second of all I'll have helped her love to learn and want to try new things (not just be afraid that mom will come racing over to yell at her! lol). To me that is what homeschooling is all about~ loving the learning and have a real excitement about life! So remember to embrace those teachable moments, not just for the older kids, but the little ones to. They are capable of far more learning then we sometimes give them credit for! Remember, Have FUN! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment